||Pre-Social Work Transfer Pathway AS
Department Description: The Pre-Social Work Pathway AS provides students with the option to complete an AS degree with course credits that directly transfer to designated Social Work bachelor's degree programs at Minnesota State universities. The curriculum will allow students to complete a pathway degree and transfer to one of the seven Minnesota State universities with junior-year status. All courses within the Pre-Social Work Transfer Pathway associates degree will directly transfer and apply to the designated bachelor's degree programs.
Pre-Social Work Transfer Pathway A.S. Degree
Sample Full-Time Pathway
1st Semester - 15 credits
CCST 1550 Introduction to College, 1 cr.
ENGL 1410 Composition I OR ENGL 1420* Honors Composition I (Goal 1), 4 cr.
HSER 1100 Introduction to Social Work, 3 cr.
POLS 1435 American Government and Politicis (Goals 5 and 9), 3 cr.
PSYC 2421 General Psychology OR PSYC 2423* Honors General Psychology (Goals 2 and 5), 4 cr.
2nd Semester - 13 credits
COMM 2420 Intercultural Communication OR Comm 2422* Honors Intercultural Communication (Goals 1 and 7), 3 cr.
ENGL 1411* Composition II (Goal 1) OR ENGL 1421* Honors Composition II (Goals 1 and 9), 4 cr.
PSYC 2431* Human Development (Goal 5), 3 cr.
SOCL 1401 Introduction to Sociology (Goals 2 and 5) OR SOCL 1403* Honors Introduction to Sociology (Goals 5 and 8), 3 cr.
3rd Semester - 16 credits
AMSL 2420 Deaf Culture (Goals 6 and 7), 3 cr.
BIOL 1404 Human Biology (Goal 3), 3 cr.
MATH 1460 Introduction to Statistics (Goal 4) OR MATH 1461* Honors Introduction to Statistics, 4 cr.
SOCL 2422 Cultural and the Environment (Goals 5 and 10), 3 cr.
Additional Goal 3 course, 3 cr.
4th Semester - 16 credits
COMM 1420 Interpersonal Communication OR COMM 1422* Honors Interpersonal Communication, 3 cr.
HSER 2150 Field Experience, 4 cr.
PHIL 1411 World Religions (Goals 6 and 8), 3 cr.
SOCL 2481 Race, Ethnicity and Opporession (Goals 5 and 7), 3 cr.
Additional Goal 6 course, 3 cr.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENT - 60 credits
Click here to download the Pre-Social Work Transfer Pathway A.S. Degree Program Planning Form (PDF)
Career Description: Social work is an appropriate background for the professional practice of social welfare administration and counseling, with focus on the study of organized means of providing basic support services for vulnerable individuals and groups. Social workers have varied career paths and often work in settings such as hospitals, schools, outpatient and inpatient mental health facilities, education and substance abuse programs. Career titles may include: Child, Family, and School Social Workers, College Social Work Teachers, Health Care Social Workers, Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers, Probation Officers, and Correctional Treatment Specialists.
Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding and knowledge of humans and their environment, genetics, and evolution;
- Interpret and analyze data and sample populations;
- Examine and analyze the complexity of the structures and dynamics of society;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of psychology, as well as the ethical issues involved in the student of behavior and mental processes;
- Demonstrate an understanding of physical, cognitive, and social-emotional development in infancy, early childhood, childhood, adolescence, early adulthood, midlife, and late adulthood;
- Articulate an understanding how diversity and difference characterize and shape the human experience; and
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of social welfare as a global social institution linked to the workings of other institutions and shaped by the intersection of politics, economics, social circumstances and value systems which impact different people in different ways.
Transfer Opportunities: The Pre-social Work Pathway AS curriculum has been designed to transfer directly to social work major programs at the following universities within Minnesota State. It is advised that students contact the transfer institution(s) for the most current information.
• Bemidji State University: BSW Social Work
• Metropolitan State University: BSW Social Work
• Minnesota State University, Mankato: BS Social Work
• Minnesota State University, Moorhead: BSW Social Work
• Southwest Minnesota State University: BSSW Social Work
• St. Cloud State University: BS Social Work
• Winona State University: BSW Social Work