||Healthcare Administrative Specialist Certificate
||Healthcare Administrative Specialist
HEALTHCARE ADMINISTRATION SPECIALIST CERTIFICATE
Program Course Requirements
BIOL 1510 Essentials of Human Anatomy (3 cr)
ENGL 1501 Writing Fundamentals for Healthcare Professionals (1 cr)
HINS 1163 Medical Office Procedures (3 cr)
HINS 1165 Medical Records Management (3 cr)
Total - 10 credits
BUSN 1166 Business Communications (3 cr)
HINS 1360 Medical Termonology (3 cr)
HINS 2190 Professional Practicum (2 cr)
Total - 8 credits
GRADUATION REQUIREMENT - 18 CREDITS
Click here to download the Healthcare Administrative Specialist Certificate Program Planning Form (PDF)
Gainful Employment Disclosure Report
Career Description: Students who obtain this certificate will be qualified to work as a patient scheduler, pre-registration clerk or work in a patient care call center.
Program Information: This program is an 18 credit certificate specifically designed for students to work in a call center environment. The program is designed to help students obtain an entry-level, rewarding position in a healthcare facility assisting patients in scheduling and preregistration. Students may be asked to research medical records and contact patients for follow-up appointments to ensure quality patient care and continuity in their healthcare maintenance plans. The certificate allows for students to complete an onsite practicum with a local healthcare facility.
Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate and utilize the basic skills and knowledge gained by taking the courses in the Healthcare Administrative Specialist certificate program
- Positively relate with and understand their role to the organization and patient care;
- Demonstrate professional behavior and communication with patients and their families on the phone using compassion and empathy;
- Effectively work with a medical office team in relation to business functions;
- Demonstrate knowledge of electronic health records diagnosis searches;
- Demonstrate initative by asking for or suggesting work for themselves to improve the deparements goals with minimal supervision;
- Maintain patient privacy by implementing HIPAA and HITECH rules and regulations; and
- Maintain privacy with healthcare facilities business information and represent the organization positively and professionally.
Special Program Requirements:
- Students must maintain a 2.0 or higher in program certificate classes.
- Typing speed of 30 wpm (will be provided with free online resources).
- Complete a satisfactory background check (background checks will follow State of MN regulations and the healthcare facilities policies on background checks).
Career Titles: Patient Care Call Center, Scheduling and PreRegistration.